[GSBN] Calibration of Balemaster probe

strawnet at aol.com strawnet at aol.com
Sun Nov 8 20:41:02 UTC 2009

 Maybe it's the approach of Thanksgiving here in the US of A, or maybe just because it struck such a deep chord in me - I want to point out and acknowledge my gratitude for this exchange...for the reflection of the beauty of this community of people as much as for the content.

What prevails here, in abundance, is a generosity of spirit, civility, concern for each other, and others beyond this circle, as well as for ourselves. And a willingness for dialogue rather than domination of a single point of view. And, though not present in this particular exchange (yet), good humor (or, for those of you of Canadian or British or some other persuasions, humour).

Derek's concerns, expressed as always with integrity and respect for the views of others, are for the larger good and take into consideration a number of higher level, or perhaps deeper, aspects of the exchange of information here. Jim responds from a place of both recognition of Derek's specific concerns and for the value of the free flow of information in this forum and in general.

Derek's concerns are real and can be serious - both the ability to safeguard certain kinds of academic and research work until published, for example, and the free flowing, open discussion of things that might be problematic for some in a variety of other ways. The challenge is not unique to this community, but the willingness to share so openly seems to be pretty rare.

This makes me wonder if there might be a way to automate a kind of differentiation of posts - some of which would not automatically be archived in the public sphere - perhaps using a key word in the subject line of posts that contain info not intended for wider distribution. I don't know how feasible that might be, but I would hope we might find a way to preserve both the openness of the flow of information and exchange and also preserve something of a more private/tighter community sharing when that is appropriate. On the other hand, I don't want to see more burden placed on Bill C for additional work.

Either way, I just want to say how much I have appreciated and continue to value the existence of this list, the archives, and especially the members and their contributions. Kudos to Bill for all his work to keep this list functioning and for making the wealth of information that has been generated and shared here available to so many people.

Warmest regards to you all,

David