[GSBN] Calibration of Balemaster probe

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Sun Nov 8 14:33:38 UTC 2009

Thanks for sharing this wonderful data, Jim.  Your figures brought up
a question for me about variation between measurements of the same
straw at the same density and moisture content.  I'm guessing that
the figures that you show are averages of some sort.  I'd like to
hear more about that.  I'm thinking that you probably didn't insert
the probe one time at each density, and move on to other densities.

I have observed that it is normal to get some variation in the
Protimeter readings, when inserting the probe into the same bale at
about the same spot in the bale, to similar depth.  I haven't done
careful recording of this variation, but when I want to test a bale,
I insert the probe three or four times and do a quick mental
averaging.  I haven't tested that many bales, but I remember seeing a
variation of two or three percent, sometimes more, between the
different Protimeter readings.  Some of that variation could come
from actual variation in the moisture levels at slightly different
spots in the bale.  But I think most of it is from differences in how
the straw interfaces with the probe.

What variations did you see, Jim, between one measurement and
another, in your test bale at the same density?  Can anyone else on
this list indicate the variations you have seen, in probing nearby
spots in the same bale?

Your figures indicate that we can be pretty confident about the
values that we get from a moisture probe.  That is good news.  Thanks
again for sharing this information.

Derelict

PS.  One concern that I have about GSBN is highlighted by your
request at the end of your message.  You ask that we keep the results
to ourselves, since you are considering academic publication of this
information.  That's an explicit, valid, and valuable statement ,that
you are not yet ready to share this information with the entire
world.  It tells me that you are not aware, or not remembering, that
any message sent to GSBN is already available on Google to anyone,
anywhere, even before it hits my mailbox.

I think there is a danger in the fact that our GSBN archives are set
up that way.  It means that either people like Jim will be hesitant
to share valuable preliminary work, or that they will forget that
GSBN is not in any way private, except in who can post, and will
share their research, and regret the consequences.  (Often, there
will be no negative consequences, but the more research that we
discuss here, the more likely that there will be negative fallout.)

Either way, I think the current archiving approach does more harm
than good.  I think there is value in GSBN being a safe sandbox, in
which to discuss ideas that we aren't ready to share with the world.
The last time that this was discussed, my viewpoint was in the
minority.  Jim, I would appreciate it if you would comment on how our
instantly-open archives will affect your willingness to post
information.

I deeply respect the  people who have expressed a different viewpoint
on this archiving question, and I am not arguing for closing the
archives forever.  I don't have a specific proposal for how the
archiving should be structured.  I would just like to honor a request
like Jim's, that we all exercise a little human discretion with his
experimental data.  It bothers me that, even before any of us read
it, his request has been violated via our automation.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm.edu

--On Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:58 AM +0000 Jim Carfrae