[GSBN] re tying half bales

Carolatkn at aol.com Carolatkn at aol.com
Thu Oct 29 21:56:11 UTC 2009

Thanks for all your useful comments.
I think I must be too much of a perfectionist - trying with all my might to
 re tie the bales as tight as the baler did!
I saw the clamping at ESBG and was impressed with the speed (much quicker
than threading needles) but was horrified at how loosely the bales were tied
off  - but then there was a whopping great glulam frame to keep the bales
in  place.
A design with half bales can be quicker than trying to find x number of
whole bales in the stack whose length perfectly add up to the length of the
wall  - much easier to make up 5-10cm in the half bale (if your arms are up to
 it)
I think I will give a little thought to a system that uses lorry straps to
overtighten a half bale so that they can be tied off without too much
physical  exertion. Thanks for that idea.
I think the previous injury point is relevant too. Over the past 18 months
I have applied nearly 200m2 first coat lime and clay plaster by hand,
taking a lot of care to push it well into the bale. That's a lot of lower arm
use - the last bale tying I did must just have pushed the old arms over the
edge. Better revisit the spray plastering threads of late too!

thanks
Carol - arms still throbbing - Atkinson