[GSBN] re tying half bales

Athena & Bill Steen absteen at dakotacom.net
Thu Oct 29 19:21:42 UTC 2009

Derek,
I don't know what kind of bales were there on site that required such
a large amount of compression, but it sounds like they were lacking
the kind of density one wants in building quality bales.  If I think
back over the years I can't remember using bales that required any
additional compression.  As for dividing and retying we seem to do
quite nicely using two very simple methods.  The first is to use an
awl in loop to separate the twine so that it doesn't fray.  That way
it is easy to exert a great deal of pressure on the twine with no
negative side effects.  The second involves using something like a
short section of a wood dowel or bamboo and wrapping it around the
twine as one would do with one's trusty old Sears lawn mower or some
other outboard engine.  With those two methods there is no damaged
twine or fingers.
If the bales being used are so bad that they require additional
compression, then I would initially look for different bales.

Bill
Athena & Bill Steen
caneloproject at gmail.com
www.caneloproject.com