[GSBN] re tying half bales

Carolatkn at aol.com Carolatkn at aol.com
Thu Oct 29 10:32:49 UTC 2009

Hi
I'd really appreciate your thoughts on re tying bales. I did a straw bale
workshop 3 weeks ago and my left arm is still throbbing from making half
bales.  It is very painful. I've noticed this for a few days before, but it is
definatley much worse this time. It could have been exacerbated by the fact
that  they only had the really thick baler twine which is very difficult to
pull  through.
We call our knot the "truckers hitch" although I don't think that is
strictly correct - a loop on the end, a loop a hand width away, threaded through
and pulled in as tightly as possible and tied off. So my questions are

Is this just me or has anyone else experienced something similar? I don't
want to be demonstrating this technique if I could be injuring some one.
Is there a better way to do it or a tool perhaps that could take the
strain? I've seen someone use a pallet strapper but the best tension is achieved
with a metal buckle - could those buckles be a condensation point in the
wall?  I've also heard of farmers making half size bales but inevitably some
adjustment  will be needed so customising will always be needed.

best wishes
Carol Atkinson
_www.strawcottage.co.uk_ (http://www.strawcottage.co.uk)