[GSBN] your preferred strapping tool?

Brian brian at anvill.com.au
Sun Oct 11 04:28:24 UTC 2009

Hi John,

We have been also been using a woven strap for many years. The only
challenge we have had is that on one occasion the buckles were sub-standard
and unraveled with the pressure of the compression. We are consistently
getting about 7% compression with good bales using the woven strapping. We
also use a standard tensioning tool that the timber industry would use for
strapping timber. The polyester strapping has a 1,1000 kg breaking strain.
As Chris has said, ensure that you use a woven strap, as the manufacturers
of other strapping advise you not to tension their straps more than once. We
tension our straps 3 times to get the 7% compression. We have a timber
structure above and below the bales as per normal, and envelop this timber
and the bales with the strapping. We use a buckle on each side of the wall
to ensure  that we do not get twist the top timber during compression. The
product is called narrow strap by Narrow Tex who I understand have
distributors I the USA. It may well be the same strap that Chris is speaking
of. The Narrow Strap product is either white with 2 red lines down its
length or bright orange, which is the one we use. We compress to tension and
then pack the top boxing to a level line for pitching the roof off.

I trust this is of some benefit.

Regards

Brian

Anvill