[GSBN] A question about mold and insurance

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Mon Oct 5 21:56:13 UTC 2009

Perhaps a joint letter, as David proposes, could address the problem
from the other direction. Rather than asking an insurance company for
their evidence (which they probably don't have), we could provide our
evidence, which is extensive.  The letter could state that, based on
these organizations' extensive experience, and on specific testing
(with internet links to the tests), CASBA, COSBA, etc., can state that
mold is not a special issue with properly built SB houses.  A plus of
this approach is that this letter would not have to be redrafted for
each case, as a letter asking for the insurance company's evidence
might.

I'm hesitant to ask for a mold exclusion as a first step.  It's true
that many policies now contain such exclusions.  But millions of
policies don't have this exclusion.  I'd rather start from the position
that SB houses are equal or better than conventional construction in
mold resistance, and accept a mold exclusion only if all residential
policies from that company include it.

Derelict