[GSBN] A question about mold and insurance

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Sat Oct 3 01:03:08 UTC 2009

It's difficult to respond to this, since documenting the absence of mold is
a somewhat like proving it doesn't snow in the Sahara: everyone knows it
doesn't, but who's collecting data?

There are, in fact, rumors and suspicions about moldy straw, but I know of
nothing that indicates problems are greater than for wood-frame
construction.

It would be entirely appropriate to ask the underwriter the hard data, if
any, behind *their* assertion that strawbale buildings are prone to mold.
You can also go to a different underwriter.

John "Overwriter" Swearingen

seems to me this could be approached from two directions: to document the
absence of mold (a little like proving a negative)

don't know of any studies.  It would be very helpful (and interesting) to
know if the underwriter themselves know of any studies and/or what is the
basis of their judgment,

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 3:53 PM, <strawnet at aol.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This came to us at DCAT and I wanted to share it here to see if anyone has
> information that might help resolve this issue. Obviously the insurance
> underwriter has the opinion that sb houses are prone to mold, so one
> question is, based on what evidence or documentation or studies? Of course
> they are in the driver's seat on this - they can make unsubstantiated claims
> and the burden is then on us to disprove them if we can. It would be good to
> hear from John Straube on this, as well as anyone else with information that
> could help.
>
> I have told her about the GSBN archives but will try to pass along your
> it was OK with her that I post this here, to Joyce at The Last Straw. Thanks
> for sharing what you all know...
> David
>
> ------------------
> Question: Have you or do you know of anyone who has researched mold in
> strawbale houses. I have just been denied insurance because the underwriter
> states that sb houses are prone to mold. All my research over the past 10
> years and during the building process is quite the oppisite, but i need
> facts to persuade the ignorant. Also my motgage co would love to cancel my
> loan if the insurance does not come thru. We have been with this company for
> 4 years and 3 of it during the building process. Are you able to help?
> Thank you Wendy

John Swearingen
www.skillful-means.com
blog: https://skillfulmeansdesign.wordpress.com