[GSBN] Bulk moisture damage

Lorenzo Robles lorobles55 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 3 01:53:38 UTC 2009

Hello Derek,
I have seen something quiet alike what you describe, in a pile of stored bales in a barn that had its north wall made of bare concrete blocks.
The bales were, of course, right against that wall.
There were no leaks from the roof at all.
The damage was higher on the bales side that touched the concrete, in a dept of some 8 inches.  We believed that condensation from airs humidity took place on the cold surface of the cement, right through those breathable bales, and in return the condensed water soaked day after day the straw.  this was in the north of France, where almost all year round the air is misty in the morning, and carries lots of humidity in wintertime.
This bulk moisture can of course be caused by interior humidity, often condensing on poorly insulated north walls (which would need to be insulated from outside rather than inside, to keep mass in and allow the insulation to breath.).

Lorenzo Robles