[GSBN] Use of and protection - steel columns in bale walls

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 17 18:20:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009, a dewey-eyed,slip-jointed Skillful Meany opined:

> My notion is that condensation will not occur at a theoreticaldew point
> location in the wall, but will happen on the back sideof the exterior
> plaster.

I'd venture that vapour in the wall will in fact condense at the dew point
of the wall's thermal profile  ... but noticeable accumulations of liquid
will be found at the backside of the plaster.

I'd also venture that condensation that happens at the dew points in the
straw would be sucked up by the straw and hence not be noticeable by
visual inspection. That condensed moisture sucked-up by the straw may or
may not be released later, depending upon subsequent temperature &
humidity conditions.

As for metal framing members being magnets for condensation, thereby
posing too much of a risk to use with straw, I'd venture that that would
be the case if and only if the air barrier was so shoddily done so as to
be ineffective.  If that's the case, then moisture damage as a result of
bulk moisture transport via air leakage would be a problem even if there
were no metal framing components embedded in the straw.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom