[GSBN] Fwd: [IGBA] dioxins in ball clay

ejgeorge at riseup.net ejgeorge at riseup.net
Mon Jun 1 15:20:41 UTC 2009

Hi,
Wondering if anyone out there knows anything about the issue of
dioxins in (some? all?) ball clays or any other clays as well.
Thanks.

ej

----- Forwarded message from motherplants at gmail.com -----
     Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 07:26:14 -0400
     From: Motherplants <motherplants at gmail.com>
  Subject: [IGBA] dioxins in ball clay
       To: igba at googlegroups.com

Hi Igba friends,

I know plain brown pottery clay is commonly used on clay plaster walls
around here. I happened to notice a warning on the label of my bag of OM
Ball clay #4, bought from Clayscapes in Syracuse, about its dioxin content.
So I looked it up online, and it seems that indeed, ball clay commonly does
contain a meaningful amount of dioxin. How it can be absorbed into the body
varies, through skin, dust inhalation, accidental eating, etc. It seems like
there's not too much known yet about it, studies mostly having been done on
dioxin levels in blood of potters, with off-gassing of firing kilns being
one big source of dioxin release, but also dust and skin absorption.
A web search for 'dioxin in pottery clay' will bring you up a nice list of
research sites on the subject.
Do others of you know more about this? Is there clay that will work for
plaster that is not one of the dioxin-containing clays?

Marguerite

--

Motherplants Ltd.
www.motherplants.net