[GSBN] Jumbo Bale Question

Ben bobregon at austin.rr.com
Mon May 4 21:37:01 UTC 2009

Hi All

I'm writing because I have a few questions to ask. First a little background

There is the possibility that Fort Hood (US Army Base near Killeen TX -
climatic data below) will build a 4 story 120000 LEED Platinum straw
bale facility with a living roof and a helipad.

The person who is trying to get the funding is sold on jumbo bales. I
feel it's my obligation to recommend the best overall system for the
project.

Because of our extremely moderate winters here (there are many years
where the total yearly amount of time we have temp below freezing is
measured in hours-often under 24 hours of actual below freezing temp per
year) I'm not certain if the Army is getting the best bang for their
buck with the extra cost. I think they probably will but the question is
how long will it take.

Also, the concept is a non-conditioned space. In this climate the heat
load generated by 1200 people (120,000 divided by 1:100 occupant load),
plus the interior humidity level would (I believe) require an HVAC
system regardless of the wall's insulation factor. Does anyone have any
experience in this-again for a similar climate?

Finally there is a structural question. When I heard 4-story, 120,000.00
s.f. w/ a living roof and heli-pad I immediately assumed a recycled
steel structure. The funding agent is proposing testing to see if the
jumbo bales can support the roof. Frankly I seriously doubt that the
Army would go along w/ load bearing straw supporting a heli-pad but who
knows.

So..  does anyone out there have any performance data based on a climate
that is similar to this one for jumbo bales that they are willing to share?

The same goes for structural data on what a 4'(w) x 3'(h) x 8'(l) bale
can hold up.

Here are the heating and cooling degree day averages for the last 5
years plus a brief summary of the historical averages. Any advice would
be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Ben Obregon
Austin TX

Temperatures range from an average high of 96° in July to an average low
of 36° in January. Rainfall averages thirty-four inches a year; the
average relative humidity is 82 percent at 6 a.m. and 52 percent at 6
p.m., and the growing season averages 258 days annually

degree days for a base temperature of 65F
Source: 	www.degreedays.net (using temperature data from
www.wunderground.com)
Accuracy: 	No problems detected
Station: 	Airport: Fort Hood, TX, US (97.83W,31.07N)
Station ID: 	KGRK

	CDD
Jan 	25
Feb 	29
Mar 	81
Apr 	150
May 	306
Jun 	469
Jul 	544
Aug 	574
Sep 	407
Oct 	231
Nov 	77
Dec 	30
Total 	2923

degree days for a base temperature of 65F
Source: 	www.degreedays.net (using temperature data from
www.wunderground.com)
Accuracy: 	No problems detected
Station: 	Airport: Fort Hood, TX, US (97.83W,31.07N)
Station ID: 	KGRK

	HDD
Jan 	498
Feb 	407