[GSBN] SB Fire Fighting Article

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Sun May 3 22:21:28 UTC 2009

All,

Here's a link to the article written by Don Fisher about fire fighting in
straw bale buildings, which appears in the magazine Fire Engineering.  A
2007 SB fire in Arizona, and his 2008 CASBA presentation were the basis for
the article.  It includes a companion article written by GSBN and CASBA
member Bob Bolles.

http://www.fireengineering.com/display_article/358471/25/none/none/Feat/The-
Unique-Challenges-of-Fires-in-Straw-Built-Construction

I don't want to bias anyone's reading, but feel I should say there are
stated conclusions that in my view are erroneous.  At the same time there is
much that is good about the article.

I've already sent an e-mail to Don with my comments, but I'm interested to
hear opinions from others.  Don responded that he didn't write that part of
the article, but was written by the Fire Marshal of the district where the
fire occurred.

Martin Hammer