[GSBN] Tall walls and wet clay

laura at greenweaverinc.com laura at greenweaverinc.com
Thu Apr 2 02:06:26 UTC 2009

I have had two interesting issues come up and thought it might be
interesting to share with the list.

One on project, a straw bale public library in southern Colorado with
tall walls (which are compressed mid-height), the specs are for the
interior to be earth plastered above the 3' wainscot of drywall over
ICF. The question that has come up is that with tall walls and earth
plaster, should the plaster preparation over wood change in any way
over what the plaster subcontractor would usually do. He is
accustomed to not using building paper over wood framing in the bale
walls, but does use a plaster lath to span to the straw. I am curious
about both potential shear movement and compressive load of the
plaster itself with tall walls and whether either of these have been
addressed differently for taller walls. (Tim Owen-Kennedy- this makes
me think of the winery.)

On another project, an office building in PA, they have located great
clay, with little expansiveness, but when sourced, is very wet and
not easily processed. Living in the dry west, this is not something I
have much experience with. I remember Sam Droege's comment in TLS
about breaking up wet clay by soaking and using a mortar hoe in a
garbage can. Projects on a larger scale in areas with very wet local
clay might look to some more mechanized proces - either spreading out
the clay and turning, or soaking and processing with mixing
equipment. One builder in NY once told me that he gave up using his
local clays because of this and uses bagged ball clay. If we are
hoping to see projects use local material, this may be an issue to
address (or perhaps has been already in those damp climates unlike
mine).

Just trying to spur on our conversations again,

Laura

Laura Bartels
P.O. Box 912, Carbondale, CO 81623
Ph 970-379-6779, Fax 970-963-0905