[GSBN] Straw Bale House Fire

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Wed Apr 1 23:41:02 UTC 2009

I appreciate your comments, Martin.  I will respond with a couple of
more points about carbon dioxide and fire extinguishers.

At 70 degrees F (21 C) ambient temperature, liquid carbon dioxide has a
vapor pressure of 830 psi (57.2 bar).  Unless I am forgetting my
physics, this means that every CO2 tank or fire extinguisher, large or
small, will have an internal pressure of about 830 psi, at that
temperature.  That's plenty of pressure to push some CO2 into the SB
wall cavity, although the internal temperature of the tank will cool
off rapidly as gas is released.

The boiling point of CO2 is listed at -69.9 deg. F (-56.6 C), so we
have plenty of "coolth" to work with.  The actual temperature of the
gas delivered through the hypothetical hole in our hypothetical
plastered SB wall will depend on the rate and duration of gas delivery.

One reason that carbon dioxide fire extinguishers are not used more
widely, for more types of fires, is that in open air, the gas disperses
quickly (as mentioned in Martin's quote).  Injecting it into a
plastered wall gets around this problem, and should make it possible to
get high CO2 concentrations in small areas of the wall.  While oxygen
will eventually seep back in, I am optimistic that elevated carbon
dioxide levels, and decreased oxygen levels, will persist for quite a
while, if the plaster isn't removed.  I think that combustion will be
inhibited chemically, through displacement of oxygen, as well as
thermally, through cooling.  Once the smoldering stops, there will be
no new source of heat to re-ignite the straw.  While anything is
possible, I think it is unlikely that the straw would re-ignite once it
was extinguished, because smoldering straw is just barely above the
required ignition temperature.  Just a little cooling would be enough
to avoid re-ignition.  I would still favor removing the charred straw,
but testing may show that this is better done after a certain delay
than quickly.

While researching this question this afternoon, I discovered that it
would probably be possible to inject liquid carbon dioxide into the
wall.  This would mean that almost all the expansion and cooling would
take place outside the CO2 tank, and inside the wall itself.  This
would deliver cooler gas more quickly to the hotspot.  The liquid
carbon dioxide would turn to gas almost instantly, absorbing a great
deal of heat in the process.  I learned that some paint ball
enthusiasts do this to power their guns in cooler weather.  It might be
as simple as turning the fire extinguisher upside down before opening
the valve.  On the other hand, it might require a different valve. More
things to test.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center