[GSBN] Strawbale houses can fly! (and shake)

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Tue Mar 24 23:14:23 UTC 2009

On 3/24/09 3:27 PM, "Mark Jensen" <markj at redfeather.org> wrote:

> Is this load bearing or post and beam?

Hi Mark,

Load bearing, with clay plaster shear walls reinforced with nylon fishing
net, on gravel bags encased in soil cement reinforced with the same netting.

See the organization's website www.paksbab.org for more information.  On the
"Research" page is a photo of the building unplastered and without its roof,
and a photo of the 8'x8' wall specimen that was tested in-plane last summer.
The "Projects" page show some of the buildings constructed in Pakistan to
date.

Darcey has been working hard on the shake table test, and is about to return
to Pakistan in April.  She will get more information about the tests on the
website when she's able.  I might be able to give preliminary or anecdotal
information about Friday's test to the GSBN in the meantime.

Although the building did "fly" onto the shake table, we're certain it won't
fly off the table during the test.  We look forward to seeing it perform in
this simulated earthquake.

Martin