[GSBN] China solar hot water

David Elfstrom listbox at elfstrom.com
Fri Feb 27 19:57:32 UTC 2009

Somewhat off-topic relative to straw bale, but you can compare the
relative efficiency of solar hot water collectors via Natural Resources
Canada's ecoENERGY for Renewable Heat performance factor tables, here:

http://www.ecoaction.gc.ca/ECOENERGY-ECOENERGIE/heat-chauffage/v2008/collectors-capteurs-eng.cfm

The Performance Factor is a relative adjustment for performance, so for
a particular method of collector 0.56 would mean 56% of the performance
of one that has 1.00. This is under specific test criteria, outlined
elsewhere on that web site.

Relevant to this discussion is a comparison of the evacuated tube
performance.

Most European products have performance factors in the 0.75 to 0.85
range. The Chinese evac tubes range from two brands at the lowest on the
list of 0.39, to one Chinese brand that rates highest in the list at 1.07.

The long and short of it is to do your research, and you don't always
get what you pay for.

David

--

David Elfstrom, P.Eng, LEED® AP
President & Sustainability Engineer

Elfstrom Engineering Professional Corporation
#421-437 Roncesvalles Ave, Toronto, Ontario, M6R 3B9
mobile 647-235-8872
fax 647-436-7832
david at elfstromengineering.com
www.elfstromengineering.com