[GSBN] Ontario Straw Bale Annual Meeting - March 8 2009

David Elfstrom listbox at elfstrom.com
Wed Feb 18 06:19:20 UTC 2009

Ontario Straw Bale Building Coalition
Annual General Meeting
Sunday March 8, 2009 8:15 A.M. to 3:30 P.M.
Camp Kawartha, Lakefield, Ontario, Canada
Directions to Camp Kawartha: http://www.campkawartha.ca/about/directions.htm

Meeting Notice
http://www.osbbc.ca/2009/02/15/annual-general-meeting-2009/

We hope that you’ll be able to attend this year’s AGM, being held at
Camp Kawartha, just north of Lakefield, on Sunday, March 8th. This is a
great opportunity to meet straw homeowners, professionals in the field,
and owner/builders. The OSBBC welcomes new members to the AGM, but they
won’t be able to vote at this meeting.

If you decide to attend for the entire day, please bring your own lunch.
Refreshments & snacks will be served at scheduled breaks, but no meals
will be provided. There aren’t any restaurants nearby, so it is best to
come prepared.

Please note that the camp is a NUT FREE facility, and we have to abide
strictly by that policy.

Schedule for the day
======================
8:15 A.M. - 9:00 A.M.
Coffee pot & muffins/Registration

9:00 A.M. - 10:00 A.M.
Plastering & Remedial Work
Choices, types, and issues in our climate. Tina Therrien will do an
initial overview of plaster types, and will be joined by Ben Polley to
discuss plaster remediation. Nick Bronsema is a masters student with
John Straube who has worked on moisture penetration studies of various
real cement-lime and earthen plastered walls. Nick will discuss issues
of water exposure on various earthen plaster and cement-lime plaster walls.

10:00 A.M. - 10:30 A.M.
Coffee break/Registration & Renewals.

10:30 A.M. - 11:00 A.M.
The Latest in Straw Bale Wall Testing at Queen’s University by Professor
Colin MacDougall, P. Eng. who heads up research on straw bale buildings
& plasters from Queen’s University.

11:00 A.M. - 12:00 P.M.
Open round table discussion of straw bale building in Ontario, lead by
Tina Therrien & Chris Magwood, including straw bale building and the
building code.

12:00 P.M. - 2:00 P.M.
Lunch, informal discussions with members, time to share photo albums.

2:00 P.M. - 3:30 P.M.
Annual General Meeting
A reminder that the AGM is the time for most people to renew
memberships, professional members included. A cheque made out to the
OSBBC, or cash are the only methods of payment we can accept.

--
David Elfstrom, P.Eng, LEED® AP
President & Sustainability Engineer

Elfstrom Engineering Professional Corporation
#421-437 Roncesvalles Ave, Toronto, Ontario, M6R 3B9
mobile 647-235-8872
fax 647-436-7832
david at elfstromengineering.com
www.elfstromengineering.com