[GSBN] Heat flux for bushfire rating

Bohdan Dorniak bdco at adam.com.au
Tue Feb 17 01:02:59 UTC 2009

Andrew
The bush fire testing model works on an accelerated fire attack on a house.
So during the CSIRO tests the model was a rendered strawbale(cement,lime and
earth rendered bales) and it was brought closer (on a rail system) to the
heat source over a period of time (a mathematical model time of 10 minutes).
This mathematical model simulates an approaching bushfire.
The German tests do not simulate a bushfire but a constant heat source - so
I believe are not applicable - but good for a fire rating.
What Australian strawbale parishioners need to do is to organise another
test with CSIRO to go whole hog say 36kw/sqm testing. Our  original costs
were in the order of $20,000 -  these reports are still sold to pay for the
testing (extra costing were borne by me personally and which is still in the
red by a couple of thousand dollars.) There were a number of "good" people
in Oz that sponsored the tests including a $9.5K grant from a South
Australian government department. If the person asking for this info is
"Harald" I've given him the low down.
Hope this all helps.
Cheers
Bohdan