[GSBN] Fwd: Embodied energy comparisons: SB vs Stick-built

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Mon Feb 16 17:48:33 UTC 2009

Hi,
I don't really have a quick way to calculate the increased lumber, other
than rule of (bruised) thumb (hit by hammer).

I would reckon it like this, though: the increase in emissions is probably
pretty close to the increase in materials, since it's reflecting the area of
exterior walls and openings rather than the volume of the space.  (It would
be the ratio of the lineal perimeter to the square footage). This ratio
would carry through fairly consistently for interior walls.

So I'd venture that a 50% increase in square footage/volume would carry with
it a 33% increase in material.  Someone who is able to do more than count on
their fingers could probably define this mathematically better than I can.

We recently designed a passive solar house for a pair of professors, who
moved in and filled it with books. They should get special energy credits!

John

--
John Swearingen

Skillful Means