[GSBN] Embodied energy comparisons: SB vs Stick-built

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Wed Feb 11 17:15:50 UTC 2009

Has anyone (like Dan Smith) done the paperwork for LEEDS?  It's a bit
complex, as it depends a good deal on how far your wood and/or straw has
traveled.  The major difference comes with the life cycle cost of heating
and cooling the building, rather than embodied energy in the material,  if
the SB house has better insulation and thermal mass.

All the best,
John

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Joyce Coppinger <jc10508 at alltel.net> wrote:

> Didn't get any replies on this one when I sent it out earlier so am
> resending to see if anyone has any ideas of a source.
>
> Can anyone suggest the best resources (past and present) to find technical
> information on embodied energy of straw bale vs. stick-build structures.
>
> Thanks
> Joyce
> -------
> Joyce Coppinger, Managing Editor
> The Last Straw journal
> GPFS/TLS, PO Box 22706, Lincoln NE 68542-2706 USA
> 402.483.5135, fax 402.483.5161
> <thelaststraw at thelaststraw.org>
> www.thelaststraw.org

John Swearingen