[GSBN] Baling thoughts

John Glassford jacksflat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 21:30:34 UTC 2009

G ' day Mark

As a Kenyan now living as an Aussie I may be able to help your Kenyan mate.

There is plenty of wheat straw in Kenya also sugar cane but not so much
rice.  In fact I find it hard to believe that rice is grown in Kenya on a
commercial scale.  I could be wrong though.  We used to grow coffee.

I will be delighted to speak with your mate from Kenya.  To see why they
need our help see:

http://www.coolamonrotary.com/kili/

Scroll down to the story that I wrote called
The Beneficiaries 3. ORPHAN RESCUE.I was back home (Kenya) in late 2007 and
I have been approached to look at returning to help with the teaching of
straw bale building.  One area needs at least 500,000 homes, yes half a
million.  I met the member for Kisumu at a Rotary meeting and he wants me to
help.  I am sorely tempted to up anchor and away; however My Little
Wolverine has something to say about that.  Anyhow I will be back in Kenya
next year.

As for sugar cane residue i.e. green harvest of sugar cane yes we have used
sugar cane as building bales.  There is a problem though and that sugar cane
residue bales can be attacked by termites.  Other than that we found sugar
cane to be as good as wheat from a stregth point of view.

I doubt that corn stalks would work too bulky to bale I feel.

Kind regards
The Straw Wolf
Huff 'n' Puff Constructions
http://www.glassford.com.au