[GSBN] Baling thoughts

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Tue Feb 3 17:31:44 UTC 2009

I agree that we don't know much about baled corn and sugar cane
culms/stalks, and that experimentation is essential before full scale
use.  As to sugar content, I've chewed fairly dry, post-harvest corn
stalks from a few (organic) fields in both North and South America,
and all those that I have tried have ranged from delightfully to
cloyingly sweet.

I also agree that moisture is a critical part of the problem with
bale decay.  Keeping bales dry is very important, but in spite of our
best efforts, bales get wet pretty often, sometimes after they are
stacked and plastered, and the house is being lived in.  While any
plant can rot, some rot more readily than others.  I was suggesting
that the differences between similar plants, in similar overly moist
conditions, can be important to builders and home owners.

I don't think it is true that any plant can spontaneously combust,
when in wet bales, as we would use or store them.  Again, the
differences between similar plants in this regard seems important to
anyone contemplating a building material.

I appreciate the discussion and the contrasting viewpoints.  Thanks,
John.

Derek

--On Tuesday, February 3, 2009 9:40 AM -0700 john rehorn